The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/murrays-my-comment-relates-to-my-risk-profile-24781728.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rolloer IRA asset allocation Date:  11/3/2006  11:02 PM
Author:  doublemann Number:  54240 of 104384

murrayS:

My comment relates to my risk profile only. Everyone needs to decide their own risk profile.

Equities carry risk, period. They can loss all their value...that is risk. Volatility creates risk as well because people tend not to like it and it makes them make rash, quick, or un-analyzed decisions. Volatility also creates opportunity for those who understand it and trade options, etc..or who employ market timing strategies.

I applaud your long term buy and hold philosophy...but the key difference between you and I is that I tend to research and purchase individual stocks rather than index funds...thus, with my risk profile and tolerance, I diversify outside of stocks into bonds and cash more than it seems you do.

This works for me but may not for you. If you are 100% comforable with your all equity portfolio, then stick with it.

d'man

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us