The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / It's Earnings That Count

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/used-to-be-you-could-not-just-copy-a-line-or-a-24822635.aspx

Subject:  Re: Getting wrong information via spreadsheet Date:  11/14/2006  2:46 PM
Author:  TMFKitKat Number:  1205 of 1817

Used to be you could not just copy a line or a cell at Reuter's and paste it into a spreadsheet and get it to work. The spreadsheet simply would not function

I have a spreadsheet that queries the site and I still use it because it does all the ratios I count on each time I look at a company. It is somewhat abbreviated however in order to get a standard format of items that are present for every company and load on the same line every time. If it did not query into a standardized format then I would have to enter all of the ratios each time. Also time consuming but less so than copying every number!. So I use the somewhat abbreviated query to the mule's work of automatically generating margins growth DIO DSO etc etc. However, the way Reuters is now set up, you can select the whole financial statement(exclude the dates at the top they don't copy across just add them later)

Start with the first cell of data and select to the last cell
Hit copy in edit
GO to your blank spreadsheet and select the cell where you want to start and paste. Voila you have a working spreadsheet. The site recently underwent a change and this may be what they were doing.

the problem with just getting a query to download every cell on the site is that they don't always match the commands line by line so you have to keep it simple and cover the basics that are there for every
company.Otherwise it throws the query off. And as you know it has to be consistent to load consistently

However, its nice to then load the whole thing and make additions for one time charges and things like acquisitions which may be lumpy etc etc
Each spreadsheet can be customized endlessly without the tedium of either having to cut and paste number by number or re-enter a couple of dozen ratios for every company
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us