The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / General Motors Community

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quotred-tagquotcash-in-case-you-are-buying-24835780.aspx

Subject:  "Red Tag"Cash, in case you are buying. Date:  11/17/2006  11:20 AM
Author:  JEDIKNIGHT Number:  5648 of 7023

In case any board members or lurkers are going to buy a GM car between now and Jan 2...

As part of the "Red Tag" sale, GM has given each dealer an alotment of "coupons",,,size of alottment is based on the size of dealer's inventory. The dealer has the option of using anywhere from $250, upto $2,000 per unit and it's NOT a rebate, it's dealer-cash meaning he doesn't have to tell you about it.

Yes, coupons are limited so if a dealer tells you that your particular unit of choice "doesnt" qualify for the money, he may be telling the truth. By tonight, all dealers must PRE-DETERMINE which specific units to use how much money on.

It's ridiculous. So if I 'roll the dice' and put $2000 on say, a 2007 white Denali and quote you a price, but now you want the black one...I gotta raise my price to you. Isn't that pleasant for both sides?

I'm passing this along so that IF you go to your local dealer, you know about it.

Sure you'll know dealer cost, etc via your research, but ask the dealer to "show you which units he put the red-tag cash on..he has a list WITH VIN numbers.".

Mostly dealers will use them towards remaining 06's but you never know.

Asking this question could save you anywhere from $250 to $2000.

Jedi

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us