The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / General Motors Community

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/no-problem-and-i-dont-feel-i-disclosed-any-state-24836954.aspx

Subject:  Re: "Red Tag"Cash, in case you are buy Date:  11/17/2006  2:38 PM
Author:  JEDIKNIGHT Number:  5653 of 7023

No problem, and I don't feel I disclosed any state secrets, as there are none in this business anymore.

In the past, dealers cried that "let us control which units we incentivize". But in it's infinite wisdom, GM did that...only they want us to PRE-determine which units to put the cash on. In some, very few dealerships...this leads to skullduggery ie "steer the customer to unit XYZ" and nowadays, that is NOT the way to do business. It IS kosher to honestly tell a customer that "we can sell X for less, if you'll tolerate the color" but unfortunatly, some retailers won't go that way.

Also, it happens frequently where dealers advertise one "loss leader" ad unit. It's not bait n switch, it's a legit unit ready for sale. But someone picks the SAME EXACT unit, same MSRP, but different color. Now dealer tells them that the price goes up, and even though you make a sale, your customer has the feeling you fleeced him. And as someone who feels that REPUTATION is your salvation as a dealer, it pisses me off.

I love being given control of some incentive money. But let me use the money in real-time. Meaning if Mish likes the red one instead of blue, I'll apply the money towards the car of his choice.

In the end I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully this helps get rid of some 06's.

Jedi
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us