The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  VA Resident w/NY Pension Date:  1/30/2007  11:26 AM
Author:  jemedwards Number:  91485 of 130965

Would someone please confirm something for me?

My brother moved to Virginia a few years ago after retiring from the NYPD.

He's been forwarding his paperwork to a NY tax preparer every year but now he wants to find someone here in the VA area. My brother has been hesitant in trying to find a local Virginia tax preparer because he doesn't think they'll know about claiming his NY Pension on NY state forms.

My question: Is it correct that as long as my brother is receiving his NY pension that he has to complete the NY Non-Resident or Part-Year Resident Form (Form IT-203)?

This just seems wierd that for the rest of his life, even though he has no intention on returning to NY, that he has to file that form!
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us