The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Figuring Tax Implications of IRA Conversions Date:  1/31/2007  11:43 AM
Author:  jrr7 Number:  91515 of 132123

The IRS will deem that you had a zero basis in your Traditional IRA (and thus that the entire conversion amount is taxable) unless you had filed a Form 8606 for the years when you contributed.

If you know which years you contributed, you need to file amended returns for those years, including a Form 8606.,,id=108657,00.html

Unfortunately, there's a three-year deadline for filing an amended return, so you are out of luck.

I've always been under a company pension plan. If I remember correctly - and I'm not at all sure this is true - doesn't this mean all my traditional IRA contributions would have been made with after-tax dollars?

No. Being under a company pension plan sets an upper limit on income in order to be able to deduct. But since you didn't file the 8606 it's moot.

The whole conversion is taxable.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us