The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Figuring Tax Implications of IRA Conversions Date:  1/31/2007  1:39 PM
Author:  wintbill Number:  91525 of 131761

Unfortunately, there's a three-year deadline for filing an amended return, so you are out of luck.

I agree with Phil, too, but for a different reason.

During my VITA/TCE training, a seasoned volunteer preparer described a scenario where a client had neglected to claim eligible credits for a number of previous years. The preparer corrected the oversight, even for returns that exceeded the three year deadline, and refiled the amended returns.

Apparently there was no complaint from the IRS, and they issued the amount due to the individual for all years.

So I'm falling in the camp of "try it anyway." What's the worst that happens? The IRS says no. Then you're no worse off than before the amended return was filed. If they say OK, then you win.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us