The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: State refund question Date:  2/3/2007  4:55 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  91665 of 130965

fleg9bo writes (in part):

Then all I've got to do is haul my old computer and monitor out of the closet where I've got 2003 TT installed along with my 2003 returns.

I reply:

It's probably not that hard to do it by hand. I faced this issue a couple of years ago, as I was just entering AMT land. Once I understood the theory, calculating the portion of my state taxes that yielded a federal income tax benefit (which, in turn, was the portion of my refund that was taxable) just required a little algebra. Here's the post where I do the math in my case: . --Bob
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us