The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Form 8332 Date:  2/7/2007  8:58 AM
Author:  rosewine Number:  91816 of 130961

We have a discussion going on in the office, and I'd welcome some input from anyone here.

Client has an order of child support which indicates he can take the child's exemption in even years if his child support is paid to date on 12/31. He also has a statement from the State showing all of his payments for 2006 and a zero balance as of 12/31/2006. He indicates the childs mother will not sign the form 8332 releasing the exemption to him.

IF he submits the pages from the support order with the statement that the child support has been paid, will that be enough to satisfy the IRS? On the one hand, it seems like it should. On the other hand, because the order is conditional, it doesn't seem like it meets the requirements.

Any suggestions?

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us