The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Form 8332 Date:  2/7/2007  9:31 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  91819 of 131113

Client has an order of child support which indicates he can take the child's exemption in even years if his child support is paid to date on 12/31. He also has a statement from the State showing all of his payments for 2006 and a zero balance as of 12/31/2006. He indicates the childs mother will not sign the form 8332 releasing the exemption to him.

IF he submits the pages from the support order with the statement that the child support has been paid, will that be enough to satisfy the IRS?

No. His only recourse is in state court, either to get them to order her to sign it or to sue her for monetary damages.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us