The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-no-inheritance-both-my-parents-are-still-25144411.aspx

Subject:  Re: Liberal Early Retirement Date:  2/7/2007  8:19 PM
Author:  ogrecat Number:  1286 of 121278

I have no inheritance; both my parents are still alive, at ages 86 and 88.

I went to college, and paid for part of it myself. My parents paid the rest. My first job out was making $110 a week, and I bounced around the tall grass of New Hampshire and Maine and Massachusetts for 8 years making more or less the same.

I went to work in corporate America (Westinghouse) and rose through the ranks, until I was General Manager of a Business Unit. I bought a house, sold it when transferred, bought another, and so on, four times. I spent a lot less than I earned, and I am now a millionaire. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Mrs. Goofy is also a millionaire. Not to put a really really fine point on it, but my dog, if he could sign his name, would also be a millionaire. We have 7 cats. They are not all millionaires, although we have hopes for them.

We made most of what we have through salary, bonuses, and saving. That said, we did not skimp; we didn't pull our washing machine out of the dump, nor look in rainbarrels for our washwater.

No inheritance here.

Born white (a definite advantage right there) to a father educated by GI Bill; good public schools; state college on state scholarship, summer employment in Catskill resorts, small federal loan.

Always saved & LBMM, worked for USAF as mainframe programmer; took early retirement offer when I realized I could live on 1/3 of working pay.

As of February 1 - car is 18 years old.

Many would consider my standard of living to be skimping, but I enjoy it.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us