The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / It's Earnings That Count

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-know-ill-probably-spend-more-time-programming-25146641.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's Your Portfolio's PIV-ER? Date:  2/8/2007  11:38 AM
Author:  TMFSlydo Number:  1301 of 1817

I know I'll probably spend more time programming it than it ever saves me in time of looking things up myself, but at least I'll have fun doing it instead of getting constantly annoyed.

Hi Mark,

How many times have I said that to myself? I've spent days automating a task that takes maybe five or ten minutes, but I love the challenge.

Btw, I've been working on something similar. Dean (whatismyoption) has a very good spreadsheet available to analyze a single stock, but I'm trying to get something that will do the whole portfolio automatically. My problem is the delay in getting web query data into the spreadsheet fast enough to update each stock before the program moves on to the next stock symbol. If you have a solution for that (I'm using Excel), I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. I, too, am a lazy SOB and automated everything I could with my business. At times I thought it was a bigger waste of time than just manually entering things. But all those minutes saved - and the ability to train a anyone to run them - allowed me to run a very lean operation, which paid off big time when it came time to sell. So much so, that I wrote a book with the working title The Lazy Millionaire. Unfortunately, some dude on the West Coast trademarked that name. So it's back to the drawing board.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us