The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Recharacterization of IRA contributions Date:  2/10/2007  5:10 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  91985 of 128043

I had made Roth IRA contributions for 2006 but then found out that we were over the MAGI limit to do so. I had the contributions recharacterized as traditional IRA contributions. My understanding is that I now just need to report the contributions on form 8606. Is there anything else special that has to be done to show this recharacterization?

See the instructions for Form 8606, Part I. I can't remember if this is one of those situations which calls for an attached statement or not. It may depend on whether your earnings were positive or negative.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us