The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/tax-preparers-25190533.aspx

Subject:  tax preparers Date:  2/19/2007  7:11 AM
Author:  stardustangel Number:  92293 of 132807

Just curious as to how your accountant conducts your meetings.

DBF went to H and R block last year and he told me they entered his information directly into a computer. His was a simple 1040ez and it took 20 minutes. He efiled and had his refund in a week or two.
The accountant I've been seeing for the past two years also types in my information onto a computer at the time of our meeting. It takes roughly 1.5 hours. A large part of that time was watching him plug numbers into his computer since he can't talk and work at the same time. A long visit, but at the end I had a rough idea of how much I owed. The final and preliminary numbers were never exactly the same, but in the same ball park.
I switched accountants this year. We met this last weekend and we talked over a pad of paper and pencil. It was a much more fluent conversation. I gave him my information with a short description. I asked questions, he asked questions. And I was outta there in about 35 minutes. Of course, I don't know what my bottom line is just yet. A minor nuisance I think compared to the time saved.

So which is more efficient, crunching the numbers during the meeting or aftter?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us