The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gentility-im-nowhere-near-the-finance-guru-that-25347243.aspx

Subject:  Re: Need help solving debt problem Date:  3/30/2007  3:56 PM
Author:  tyler44 Number:  250811 of 313069

Gentility,
I'm nowhere near the finance guru that some of the others on this board are, but I just want to put my 2ยข in-

bingocards-
I'm a lender on Prosper.com and many, many of the folks who I've seen there who are in debt trouble spell debt C-A-R.

I can't tell you how true this is. Every person I know that is in debt has one thing in common - they all have nice cars. I have a friend who will come over for a visit, spend the time griping about having trouble making ends meet, then drive home in his leased Audi A6.
I happen to earn more than most of my friends, carry 0 debt, and hands-down drive the cheapest, least-luxurious car of them all. You must, in fact, cut all "vanity" expenses out of your budget. It's just that auto is usually the biggest one by far - so it's the most crucial.

PS - you haven't actually replied saying what your auto expenses are, so you may very well be doing the right thing anyway. I was just expanding on bingocards' point.

Good luck to you!
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us