The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-first-ira-mutual-fund-was-recommended-by-a-nice-25369238.aspx

Subject:  Re: Help with Simple IRA Date:  4/6/2007  4:19 PM
Author:  mudman90039 Number:  56657 of 104234

My first IRA mutual fund was recommended by a nice guy and he got a nice sales commission, I had no clue, but it had a load up front too. 6 years later I saw the fools on PBS and started reading their info. I sold those early shares , bit the bullit, paid the fee and bought index funds from Vanguard the 500 S&P and a midcap index , they seem to always have the lowest fees and some of them have great dividends. Both have done really well after that heart stopping dive 5 years ago. I think VFINX is a bit expeinsive right now at $133 a share

Now I'm looking into switching one european fund to VEURX as it's .27% expense ratio and a 2.56% dividend. Schwab has a competing one SWINX that is .72% and 2.83 % dividend. It's sort of a wash between these two. Nothing else I've found even comes close to 2% dividend.

I also recently turned several small cap stocks into VIVAX it's American large cap companies MF with a 2.24% Div and .21 expense ratio. I bought this because Schwab sent me a yearly analysis and I was deficient in American large cap stocks and weighted too heavily in small caps due to my Hidden Gems investments so I sold a few low performers (keeping some high ones for now). I like my Schwab account, they have some good research and services.

I'm really big on dividends now that I'm switching over to the Income Investor strategies. I'm semi retired and don't have much income so I need those dividends to eventually give me income, tho right now they're being reinvested.

glenn
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us