The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/well-im-a-minority-here-but-i-advocate-new-we-25372581.aspx

Subject:  Re: Company SOLD!! - My 401K !!? Date:  4/8/2007  11:06 AM
Author:  vickifool Number:  56675 of 105397

Well I'm a minority here but I advocate new. We keep cars until the wheels fall off and for the extra penny or so per mile (and I save maintenance that first three years) it is well worth it to me to have a car I've driven every mile. Having said that I don't have time to do my own maintenance, but I am good about regular maintenance and keep a detailed schedule and cost on each car in my possession.

Grandma is driving the once new 1992 Camry with 220,000 and with the exception of an ill conceived Olds we did buy used for DS, and another formerly new 99 Camry that my son sold after it was passed to him, we have periodic visits by every car we've purchased since 1992, and know every bit of maintenance each has done.

I like the peace of mind. Hang in there VickiSpouse!

Hockeypop

That's EXACTLY the reasoning VickiSpouse uses! Except that it doesn't save on maintenance costs because the dealers charge at least double what my after-market mechanic does. And the dealers often aren't very good. (Particularly the case on the Caravan. Although we had tons of dealer mis-maintenance on the Volkswagen earlier.)

And we trade cars in the family, too.

Vickifool
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us