The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Jewish and Foolish

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/you-ask-people-about-their-belief-and-all-they-25525742.aspx

Subject:  Re: halacha Date:  5/24/2007  2:21 PM
Author:  drrickdvm Number:  15018 of 23055

You ask people about their belief, and all they can tell you is what they believe. There are no absolute truths. There are potentially as many answers as individuals with different world views. Yet you insist, unreasonably, that we as a group must give you a uniform and absolute answer.

Let me try to explain one more time. I ask about halacha. I am told that any question in jewish life can be answered by halach and that halacha is immutable and the absolute source of all wisdom.

But since not everyone agrees what is halacha and what is the absolute wisdom garnered by reading halachais and that this has been so for almost the entire life of the jewish people, I can't understand how halacha can be absolute and immutable.

I have read the history of halacha. I have read how is started, Sanhedren, Mamoinidie, factionalism, tribalism, reunification and interpretation.

And then I ask a question about morality and the answer I get is that the halacha tells us that this is absolutely so because it is the word of god handed down and interpreted over generations but not everyone agrees.

Now I could be wrong on this but near as I can figure- and I know this will offend, this doesn't seem all that different from the numerous schisms in Christianity.

They all have the same book but none can seem to agree on exactly what is the word of god because it is interpreted by humans.

Which makes it hard for me to accept something a being immutable from another religion as being a basis of morality for four basic reasons.

1. Not sure how anyone knows it was written by god.
2. Wheter it was written by god or not, I'm not sure there is a reason to accept it as being moral just because god wrote it.
3. Other people have gods who tell them to do very different things.
4. The god of the jews is the god of the christians and the muslims and they can't even agree on what god wants them to do.

Some who reply insist that their anwer is the only answer because that is halacha. Sometimes that answer has some very shared moral underpinnings. However, for those who accept their version of halacha as being absolute, there are some very disturbing things sanctioned that I do not share the beleif that they are moral.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us