The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less


Subject:  Re: Insurance for migrated parents Date:  6/6/2007  11:09 AM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  1069 of 1905

As someone mentioned each state has a completely different set of rules. See this website and print out the information for each of the states that they might live in.

In addition to getting their current health insurance once they turn 65 they will almost certainly not be eligible for Medicare and they will face additional problems with getting medical insurance then.

Is it possible to use Goverment or county hospitals for any emegency?

Yes but they will be billed extremely high rates if they don't have any health insurance and the hospitals will turn their accounts over to bill collectors. The bill collectors will likely come after you as well if something in the immigration forms says that you will be financially responsible for them.

In an emergency room will also only get the minimum care necessary to get them stabilized and back out the door. For example if their blood pressure or diabetes is out of control, they might be given a pill to get them through the night and told to see their regular doctor in the morning.

I know some nice people that work in the healthcare field, but these otherwise nice people have pretty much gotten fed up and harsh with dealing with uninsured illegal immigrants. Even though they would be here legally, I would not expect them to be treated they way that I would want my parents treated if they showed up at an emergency room without health insurance.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us