The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-asking-jrr7-in-reply-what-do-you-25570340.aspx

Subject:  Re: Preferreds Date:  6/8/2007  1:31 PM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  20641 of 36935

Thanks for asking, jrr7. In reply:

What do you mean by "low to low/moderate risk"? Are you talking about risk to income stream, risk to quicksale value of investments, or risk to longterm value of investments?

>> I would be uncomfortable eating a loss of, say, more than 10 percent of my investment if I decided to sell at some point over the next 5 to 10 years.

What goal are you trying to accomplish, that makes you think stable income + low risk is a good fit?

>> My wife and I are in our late 50s. We would like to retire within the next couple of years and live comfortably but not extravagantly off our nestegg. We've got approx. $800K in CDs, stock, and cash, approx $620K in TIAA, a paid-off house, and other paid-off real estate with a value of approx $450K. Zero debt -- none. We started from scratch and worked hard to get where we are. We want a stable income stream to live on, and I want to sleep peacefully at night after carefree days spent paddling my canoe and doing volunteer work.

Fungi
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us