The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: NOT SURE THIS GOES HERE, BUT SENIOR WARNING Date:  6/17/2007  12:07 AM
Author:  madamhusker1 Number:  254514 of 313010

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time, and I don't wish to cause you further alarm, but I would ponder these points:

1. If there are visitors to the house and drugs or prostitution is present, this can put your grandmother in GRAVE danger. If a 'visitor' believes she may have money or valuables, this would certainly give them a motive to come back later to rob or do worse damage. If drugs are being used, what would stop someone on a binge from causing her harm? Drug addicts are likely to commit crimes to support their habit.

2. A new will would most likely be invalidated by your grandmother's present medical condition. If it's been known for some time she suffers from dimentia, then anything signed by her after this diagnosis would unlikely hold up in court. (Unfortunately, it would take court action by one of the parties to bring this forth.)

I would use whatever resources I had available at my disposal to remove the adult children from her residence and bar them from returning. This would most likely take a restraining order. It would be imperative for your grandmother to be evaluated away from the children, so they cannot influence the findings. If you can figure out a way to drug-test the one you think is using, I would do that as well; this would certainly give you more ammunition if necessary.

Can you hire a neighbor or private detective to watch her house for a week or so, observing activities from outside, while taking notes and/or photos? License plate numbers can be tracked to find out what kind of people are frequenting the premises. This is the kind of information you'll need to get law enforcement involved. The more ammo the better, if helping your grandmother is the ultimate goal.

My guess is the the adult children will use her for as long as they can, then discard her. (I don't say this lightly, but can't say it any nicer.)

I second the advice to seek the input of an elder-law attorney; he or she can enlighten you to what rights she has that may be compromised right now. Don't wait until something catastrophic happens... you won't be able to change the past, but you can do something now to protect her present and future.

MadamHusker 1

~ Not unfamiliar with family problems.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us