The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: taxes after Trad. rollover to Roth Date:  6/17/2007  4:35 PM
Author:  jrjester Number:  57919 of 94193


Yes, I'm wading through the 2210 pdf right now without a booklet and getting a little overwhelmed!

I'm interested in your second point above, that to avoid a penalty on underwithholding I would need to have withheld during the year "at least 100% of the previous year's tax." I'm single and I always get a return of at least $600 due to over-withholding, this, for the last 6 years including last year. It sounds to me that based on your info, I could skip the 2210? This seems too generous of the IRS. If my interpretation of your info is correct, I wonder what the IRS's rationalization is, for allowing an individual to pay later based only on the year before.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us