The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-love-the-analysis-but-it-happens-to-miss-the-25672272.aspx

Subject:  Re: Discover, the Fine Print Date:  7/11/2007  11:02 AM
Author:  mjw3786 Number:  255451 of 312650

I love the analysis, but it happens to miss the mark. Those are monthly totals, with 3 or 4 tanks of gas per month. I got a bit annoyed when the cost of filling the tank broke $30, but it's still usually below $35.

Entirely my fault for misreading your post. I'll be honest, I clenched my teeth a bit at the thought of *regularly* filling up for over $100 in one visit to the pump.

When my fiancee and I rented a Penske truck + car carrier to move her down here this past May, we had the joy of filling up the 28 gallon tank not once, but THREE times. The prices were only (ha!) about $3.00 per gallon, but we still shelled out over $250 between gas and tolls (they love to hit you for those extra axles) -- this has made the decisions to forego some of our typical summer roadtrips a little easier this year.

We'll miss some of our favorite festivals back up north this August, but I definitely won't miss the travel costs...especially considering we've jumped the "long-distance" hurdle we'd been leaping each month, somewhere between Raleigh and Boston.

Keeping my vehicle in it's best shape, tire pressure included, still only gets me about 26-28 hwy. If I didn't have ~$5k sunk in a new engine and transmission, i'd probably be shopping for something a bit friendlier. But for now, i'll enjoy the peace of mind that comes with having an odometer reading close to six figures, while the powertrain still promises another 70-80k hassle-free miles.

I also find that with the fiancee around, we drive less as well.

"To reduce stress, avoid excitement.
Spend more time with your spouse."

--Robert Orben"

An excerpt from last month's Forbes "Thoughts on the Business Life."

http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0604/212.html
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us