The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ive-also-thought-about-planning-on-doing-a-mootfl-26012630.aspx

Subject:  Re: Others with un-retirement? Your ratio? Date:  10/19/2007  6:16 PM
Author:  clrodrick Number:  1132 of 1906

I've also thought about planning on doing a MOOTFL (moving out of the fast lane) in say 5 or so years. At that point I'd be lucky to have a 1 to 20 ratio of yearly budget to total investments. I'd have to fidn a suitable part time job to cover expenses with some mad money left over and allow my investments to continue growing till I reach a ratio of 28 to 1.

I guess all I can say is I aim to be flexible with my decision. 5 years is a long time, and who knows how much I'll love/hate my job by then. Right now I'm pretty burned out with work and am wondering how I can last another 5 years. Luckily, I will be taking 3 weeks of vacation soon and hope to recharge. I also have to gauge how much MOOTFL will cost me in terms of years till 100% retirement. Not sure if MOOTFL and doing part-time work for 6-7 years would be any better than sticking with current job for another 3-4 years and being fully financially indepedent. Guess only time will tell.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us