The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/woo-hoo-as-a-follow-up-i-just-looked-at-the-2008-26013641.aspx

Subject:  Re: HSA - retirement investment? Date:  10/20/2007  8:58 AM
Author:  FoolNBlue Number:  4455 of 5253

Woo Hoo! As a follow up, I just looked at the 2008 rate for my HDHP. My monthly employee share of the premium, pre-tax is $73.24 . Adjusted for tax I will actually pay "out of pocket" $54.93/month. Each month, the premium pass through deposited on my behalf by my insurer into my HSA is $83.33. Net cost to me to have insurance is -$28.40/month! Pretty cool, eh?! I've been in this plan for two years and have accumulated $2K (one year's deductable) just through premium pass through -all free money. So unless I get really sick, I shouldn't have any real out of pocket medical expenses for some time. I've also contributed about $900 to the account but doubt I'll contribute more than the free money since the investment choices are not that great.

I'm sure this is more exciting for me than you but I still think it's cool that I get "paid" to have insurance.

FoolNBlue (What healthcare crisis? -yeah, I know, just wait till I quit my job)
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us