The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-just-started-taxable-investing-but-my-plan-is-26020528.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investing Frequency Date:  10/22/2007  9:51 PM
Author:  FIgirl Number:  4462 of 5260

I just started taxable investing, but my plan is the same as yours, Acme - to invest quarterly to minimize transaction-related record keeping. I also specified that dividends and distributions be paid into a sweep account instead of automatically reinvested, again to minimize the number of transactions I need to keep track of.

The money that's "waiting" to be invested is in a tax-exempt MMF with a taxable-equivalent yield of 5.4%, so it's not lying completely fallow.

Another reason to do less frequent but larger amount investments is if you are investing via an ETF with a brokerage that is not commission-free. I'm not there yet, but if/when I invest with ETFs I will also minimize the frequency of investments to save on commission costs.

BTW, I made my first ever taxable investment on Friday Oct. 19 -- and the next day realized I'd made my first jump into the market on the 20th anniversary of the '87 Black Monday crash. I kind of like that!

FIgirl
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us