The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/next-week-ill-get-the-materials-for-open-26038436.aspx

Subject:  Re: Update on HSA decision Date:  10/27/2007  7:48 PM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  4468 of 5268

Next week I'll get the materials for open enrollment, and I'll be able to see how much more it will cost me to have the traditional low-deductible PPO option compared to the HSA option (those will be the only two options this year). I also don't know what the deductible will be or how much possible employer contribution is out there. I suspect the numbers will tell me to go with the HSA, but I can'tt be sure yet.

By the way -- did you know that if you fund your HSA with payroll deductions -- making it a Section 125 cafeteria plan -- the HSA contributions are not only pre-federal income tax but also not subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes? On the other hand, 401K contributions are subject to SS and Medicare taxes. So putting a dollar into an HSA instead of a 401K can actually save you 7.65 cents in payroll taxes.

I could see that as a potential tiebreaker in some situations. For sure I'll start with the 401K up to the company match, and if I go with the HSA option I'll probably max that out (not sure how much that needs without knowing the employer contribution) and then work toward the 401K and Roth IRA again.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us