The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/welcome-bobretired-were-glad-you-could-join-us-26053416.aspx

Subject:  Re: Financial Planners Date:  10/31/2007  11:24 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  59952 of 103313

Welcome bobretired. We're glad you could join us.

Most fee only planner are willing to spend 30 min or so with you kind of in an interview, where each party decides if they have a good fit with the clients needs and expectations.

Recommendation from a friend or someone you trust is usually an excellent place to begin, but beyond that it is up to you to ask the right questions. Experience with your kind of situation, knowledgeable about relevant tax laws and requirements, and in the case of those who manage investments, a reasonable performance history. Add appropriate fees for time and services to be provided, decent communications skills, acceptable personality, etc, etc.

Make you own check list. And decide what is important to you.

I have not changed planners as I do not use one. (I do have pros I can call on for difficult tax problems.) Choosing the right one is the hard part. Changing from one to another should not be a big deal once you make the right choice.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us