The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Overseas Investing in US Market


Subject:  Re: Retiree with Foreign Earned Income Roth IRA Date:  1/9/2008  8:43 AM
Author:  charmatica Number:  604 of 677

Don't know the answers to your other questions, but I was under the impression that you can not open a Roth unless you have US-based earned income for the year in question. US Social Sec income or French earned income probably does not count.

Hmm, do you have a source for this, because I have continued contributing to my Roth since coming abroad, even though it isn't US earned income, I still file taxes in the US every year, but am given an exemption. I have never heard it was not allowed.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us