The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/faster-road-to-fire-26277449.aspx

Subject:  Faster road to FIRE Date:  1/13/2008  8:36 AM
Author:  Gahread Number:  4561 of 5268

I've been trying to figure out how to make it to 20 years in the military and then call it quits.

As a new investor I'm trying to decide between a Roth IRA and a traditional IRA if I'm going to pull money out for quite a while before hitting traditional retirement age.

From what I understand, the benefit of a Roth IRA is that withdrawals up to your contributions total, and 'qualified withdrawals' after 59.5 are all tax free.

But if I want my money out before I'm 59 and a half years old, I'm going to be stuck paying income tax, plus 10% if I don't use a 72(t) distribution plan.

No matter what, it sounds like I'm going to pay tax on what goes in and on what comes out!

Assuming I do manage to retire early, I'm thinking a traditional IRA would make a lot more sense. I'll get taxed on the way out just like I would making early withdrawals on a Roth, but at least this way I can dodge taxes on the way in. Am I missing something here?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us