The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 401K Rollover, Include On Tax Return? Date:  2/15/2008  2:40 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  98735 of 131280

I know these rollovers won't affect my tax situation, since it's not taxable, but I wasn't sure if I needed to report this non-taxable distribution to the IRS. (The 1099-R says, in bold print, "REPORT THIS INCOME ON YOUR FEDERAL TAX RETURN")

The bolded part is your answer.

Unfortunately, you shouldn't have filed a 1040EZ - the 1099R requires that you do at least a 1040A.

You will have to file an amended return.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us