The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Filing childrens return separately Date:  3/14/2008  5:11 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  99461 of 132651

To clarify, can I claim the $3400 exemption on my return and on my daughter's return?

Not on both returns. Typically, it will only be on your return, as she is typically your dependent. Since you claim her as a dependent, she cannot claim a personal exemption on her own return.

Also if I file hers separately I still get the $1000 child credit on my return.

If you otherwise qualify, yes. The fact that your daughter files a return does not affect your eligibility for the child tax credit.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us