The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Filing childrens return separately Date:  3/14/2008  5:13 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  99462 of 132685

Thanks very much for your help. To clarify, can I claim the $3400 exemption on my return and on my daughter's return?

No. Even if she files her own return, you get the $3400 exemption. She does not. She also gets a reduced standard deduction.

Also if I file hers separately I still get the $1000 child credit on my return. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself but I want to make sure I get it right).

If you otherwise qualify for the child credit, you will get it whether or not she files a separate return.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us