The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees


Subject:  401(k) Distribution Date:  4/10/2008  12:38 PM
Author:  bawatson Number:  4578 of 5260

My primary investment vehicle is through my employer's 401(k) plan. I know that I can take a qualified distribution of my 401(k) if I change employers (among other reasons). What I don't understand is, why can't I do so without changing employers?

I want to expand my investment opportunities beyond what's offered in my retirement plan. Is there any way to rollover my 401(k) (or a portion there of) without quitting my job?

Alternatively....I guess I could defer a percentage of my future 401(k) contributions to a RothIRA?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us