The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/fleg-ad-hom-attack-but-thats-what-substitutes-26631947.aspx

Subject:  Re: Could your retirement survive this? Date:  5/8/2008  2:27 PM
Author:  cliff666 Number:  13015 of 22171

fleg: Ad-hom attack. But that's what substitutes for discussion when you're a liberal and have no answer.

When you post an essentially content free diatribe, what more can one do but to observe that you are merely repeating what some conservative talking head has said? But it make you feel good to say something is ad-hom, so enjoy. Wish you would follow all the other facets of debate. But then, I don't call what goes on in the TMF boards "debate". Discussion, mostly.

You said: If a candidate is promising to raise your taxes $10-20k per year and damage your portfolio on top of that, is that something to avoid discussing just because most of the posters here are in denial about the ramifications of his policies for their own situations?

Now you say: Is it my imagination that Obama said he would raise the dividend tax from 15% to one's marginal rate? Or that he said he would raise the cap gains tax from 15% to as high as 28%? Or that he would raise the cap on paying SS taxes to some unspecified height?

I don't pay SS taxes but that other stuff will ding me good. He said he won't raise taxes on anyone making under $200k, but I bet he was talking about tax on income, not on cap gains and divs

If these will raise your taxes by $20,000, you are doing pretty well. I wish it would raise my taxes that much to do what what you describe!

FWIW, we paid over $30,000 tax, state and federal, in 2007. I don't feel like I'm getting a free ride. Nothing in what you are saying would increase my taxes by more than 10%. But without seeing the whole picture, I can't tell. I don't think you can either.

cliff
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us