The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/here-is-my-evil-side-liberals-can-call-me-a-26636836.aspx

Subject:  Re: Could your retirement survive this? Date:  5/10/2008  12:53 AM
Author:  0x6a74 Number:  13040 of 22143

Here is my evil side: liberals can call me a selfish bitch, but if I am going to share my "riches", it will be with my family and charities of my choice, not some ne'er-do-well who refuses to keep a job.

where a lot of the 'contention' lies

a famous Judge (i forget which) said that the [criminal justice ] system is set-up under the principle that it's better to let ten guilty men go free than to execute one innocent. And that's as it should be.

something similar ,IMO, can be said about welfare -- better to feed ten ne'er-do-wells than to let one needy family starve.

"conservatives" want to flip those ratios (and have largely succeeded over the past few decades)

"liberals" want to maybe extend those ratios (especially now that the functional ratio is near 1-1)

"conservatives" seem to think nearly everyone (but themselves?) are ne'er-do-wells ; "liberals" seem to think ne'er-do-wells are rare.

-
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us