The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/wrong-again-our-opposition-is-based-on-the-26639191.aspx

Subject:  Re: Could your retirement survive this? Date:  5/11/2008  2:15 PM
Author:  stockmuncher100 Number:  13079 of 22143

Wrong again. Our opposition is based on the principle that Iraq never attacked us. Iraq did nothing at all to provoke an attack by this country. Bush was dancing around with ants in his pants - eager to blow something and somebody up in Iraq. He's an impotent little dictator with the IQ of a snail. So far he has maimed, killed, and destroyed the lives of thousands upon thousands of human beings who have done nothing to this country. I oppose the war in Iraq because it is morally wrong and should have been beneath the dignity of the United States. Iraqis are human beings. And I believe that is a principled stance.

"Our opposition"? That's funny--you claimed not to be a leftist in the post I was responding to. Now you're claiming to speak for the left wing. You can't have it both ways, AM.

Exactly. At last you got SOMETHING right. The government does have the power. If you don't think so, I challenge you not to pay your taxes. Go ahead. Let me know how it works out. Show us all how brave you are to stand up to the IRS and the United States government. We are all eager to watch the outcome of such bravery. Of course you will do this, right? Because you believe the government does not have the "raw power to do anything it wants with your tax dollars." Correct?

O.K. then you agree it's the Democratic Congress' fault that what you consider an evil war is still on-going. That you for admitting that I got that "right."

I'm afraid you don't know a whole lot, do you? The democrats barely have a majority. They cannot override vetos -- and on the war they don't even have the traitorous and scuzzy little Lieberman on their side. So they don't have the power to end this war. And if you would pull your head out of your...er....out of the dark you would realize that.

I know that Bush can't veto an appropriations bill that Congress doesn't send to him. Congress has the power to end the war by simply not appropriating any money for it. You apparently don't know how the legislative process works on a very basic level. I agree I don't know a whole lot, but apparently that's considerably more than you do.

Now you are talking jibberish again. While you may have some notion of what YOU believe, you obviously don't have a clue what I or the "left" believes. But, of course, you have made up your mind and that's that.

O.K. now you're back to claiming that you don't regard yourself as part of the "left." Yet you claim to be able to speak for "our" principles in opposing the Iraq war. So you can't even go through one post without being completely inconsistent.

Again, I challenge you to NOT pay your taxes. Let's just see how long you are able to move about the country -- or move about, period. Let's see how long it takes before the IRS comes and takes your car, your house, your investments -- your freedom. Are you willing to back up what you are saying by refusing to pay your taxes? (Actually, I'm pretty sure you are not that brave -- I doubt any bravery from you at all, actually.)

I simply responded to something you said that is completely untrue. There is no requirement that one pay taxes to have freedom of movement in the United States. Are you saying people on public assistance are prohibited from interstate travel because they don't pay taxes?

Once again you are making stuff up. You just don't have a clue. Call me leftist all you like.

Look at what you said earlier in the post about "our" [i.e., the left's] reason for opposing the Iraq war. "Our." Not, "their." You said it.

You called yourself a "leftist" because you got a little bit mixed up. You think not admitting the obvious--that you are on the hard left--somehow gives you more credibility in these discusssions. It doesn't, because that sort of denial reflects a lack of candor on your part.

I'll wear it like a badge.

So you're proud to be called a leftist even though you say you're not a leftist?

Your statement above merely shows that you are shaking in your boots over the prospects of a democratic president. Be still my foolish heart! It makes me want to dance.

Inevitably, the hard left is ultimately going to turn on the next president--even if that is Obama or Clinton--like rabid dogs--exactly the way they have turned on Hillary Clinton, who was once their beloved.

That's because the hard left doesn't believe in reason and political compromise, yet compromise and moving to the center is exactly what any Democratic president will have to do to be effective.

This time next year we will be reading these boards and it's an odds-on bet that you and the other members of the hard left, at PA and at AF, will feel disillusioned and betrayed by Obama if he should be elected.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us