The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-numbers-you-gave-are-a-bit-hard-to-put-into-26793834.aspx

Subject:  Re: On Target? Date:  7/7/2008  3:38 PM
Author:  fredinseoul Number:  4634 of 5260

The numbers you gave are a bit hard to put into perspective without knowing your expenses. For example, how many months' expenses is that $16K? If it's 3 months' expenses, that's good. If it's 6 months' expenses, it's great. If it's more than that, you might want to invest the amount above six months' worth.

I was thinking about this very topic. I believe in six months worth of money, but between short and mid term savings, I am too much in cash and not enough in stocks. I'm trying to balance this out but there are legitimate reasons for the items in my budget. Its just that when I am done meeting the legitimate reasons, I've little more left over for stocks. (I'm investing 10.3% of my gross income along with 13% in the 401k(includes company match)). I am investing 23.57% of my gross income, but have double that in cash- mostly because I am saving for the next house.

fredinseoul
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us