The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Bank on Yourself?

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/young-financial-planning-27120586.aspx

Subject:  Young financial planning Date:  10/22/2008  6:05 PM
Author:  lgustafs Number:  16 of 21

Hello

This is my first post on here! I'm 23 years old and recently graduated from college with my MBA. I make $48,300 a year working for an accounting firm. I have no credit card debt, but I do have a car loan (5 yr loan) and a hefty amount of student loans ($42,000 paid over 10 yrs). I have made a monthly budget for myself, which is leaving me about $750 a month in extra spending money. My budget includes $500 savings per month (split between personal and 401k). I am only making the minimum payments on my student loans and car loan. I do not have any other investments besides my 401k.

I am very concerned about doing something wrong and ruining my finances for the rest of my life. Should I be paying more off on my student and car loans per month and living more frugally? Or should I continue making the minimum and living comfortably? Should I save more instead of putting more towards my loans? Or am I just fine? I never know the answers to these things, and I'm sorry if this is a loaded question. Just looking for some basic financial advice for a young starter. Thank you!
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us