The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/hi-peter-thanks-for-all-the-great-info-and-27258203.aspx

Subject:  Re: CA Resident, Nevada LLC Dividend Portfolio Date:  12/9/2008  7:54 PM
Author:  LiveOakGrey Number:  102858 of 129503

Hi Peter,

Thanks for all the great info!

...and I've been trying to determine if there is a way to put my portfolio into a Nevada LLC, a state with no taxes, and using the company to capture the dividends and capital gains, but allow me to control them without having to claim it as 'out of state income?'

Peter: Not really. By default, a single member LLC is ignored for income tax purposes. So all of the LLC's income would be reported on your personal tax return just as if you owned it directly.

Grey: Well, here's a spin on that question. If a single member LLC is ignored for tax purposes, would an LLC with several holding corporations for a person's other assets/stocks count as multiple legal entities, and make the LLC valid for tax purposes?

Also, maybe all the loopholes have been closed, if so what's the point of having alternate minimum tax if nobody can find loopholes to avoid most or all of their taxes? Is it just to catch tax payers who have no dividends and live on capital gains? Or is it an out-dated hold over that just lingers on?

Thanks,
-Grey
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us