The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Global Gains / GGM: Global Gains Philosophy

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/1-how-long-does-my-manager-think-they-division-27299487.aspx

Subject:  Re: Future of GG: Accountability and a debate Date:  12/25/2008  9:26 PM
Author:  DaGecko Number:  730 of 5166

1) How long does my manager think they (division or the company) are going to last in business? And the reasoning behind their answers.

Here is one thing to remember in asking this question. If he is in a position to really know of something in the works, he has most likely signed a nondisclosure statement that precludes him of telling you anything anyway. Now he may be in a position of not knowing and is just giving you his opinion which if me I would give something like, "The company policy is to not speculate on such matters. However if this action is taken it is our policy to notify employees affected as soon as possible." I remember the first company I worked for after I got out of the Army. It was 1980. The old engineers (30's and 40's) asked me why I would join a company that produced a product (PMDC motors) that would be obsolete to variable speed AC motors within 3 years. I no longer work there and they have been sold a few times over the years but they are still making the same product nearly 30 years later. You never know.

Now I think there is nothing wrong in asking the questions of your prospective employer though I must admit I would try to have some reason to base the question upon to show I know something of the business. "I note that over the last three years you have lost market share, what actions are being taken to reverse this or is the division considered a now crucial part of the business such that it is a candidate for sale or closure?" If the question was asked the way you asked it I would reverse it and ask you what you knew of the business or market to have ask the question?

As to the second question I would not get upset if you asked but I would not feel compelled to tell you. If I were the hiring manager you would not be working for me but for the company. And like it or not I would not be working for you but for the company. And to fill the position with the best candidate that I could find would be my job. Not to stall until things worked out for me. I would not lie to you. That would not be fair to the company to leave them with a disgruntled employee that I lied to in order to get them to work there.

Your questions would be on a personal one on one situation. The questions you are asking here I believe are not answerable. As mentioned giving advice as to what you would hope to see in a shut down of a letter service versus what was seen with PD (note I was not a current member of PD so I do not know what they did but am taking it that it was abrupt and final) should be given for consideration but expecting an answer I think only serves to perhaps get a few recs and a few persons excited and saying, Yeah! Yeah!

Dave
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us