The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Global Gains / GGM: Global Gains Philosophy

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gotta-work-on-my-chinese-though-the-looks-are-27325219.aspx

Subject:  Re: Thoughts on Asia Date:  1/6/2009  3:07 PM
Author:  TMFOtter Number:  807 of 5166

Gotta work on my Chinese, though. The looks are no problem. I've been mistaken for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, Indonesian, Cuban, Puerto Rican, and other South Americans, but rarely Filipino.

Funny story about that. My wife (who is full-blooded Chinese) told me when we first started dating that she tended to get really, really blunt questions about her ethnicity. Things like "What are you?" or others generally discounting the potential that someone who looked like her was actually American. Given that many of the questioners were male, I think many times they were trying to hit on her (and failing pretty spectacularly).

She started mixing up her answers, her favorite being that she was half Swedish and half Jewish. You'd be surprised at how few people questioned this.

A few years ago, she got a new one. A man wandered up to her in a McDonald's in DC and asked her "what tribe are you?"

Without batting an eye she said "Taiwanese. We're related to the Shoshoni."

Not sure why that one keeps the likes of me around, honestly.

Bill Mann
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us