The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks C / Celera

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/globalstreamer-thank-you-for-posting-this-i-27546785.aspx

Subject:  Re: The real, real risks of margin. Date:  3/23/2009  11:32 PM
Author:  Sundolly Number:  36495 of 36502

Globalstreamer---Thank you for posting this. I have been a fan of this site for about 10 years....reading....learning....researching and very grateful for everything it and you all have taught me. I am 50 years old and recently was awarded a small disability settlement. I put it in a money market account and watched the market for about 6 months, continuing to research and learn as much as possible in order to be able to manage my own portfolio.

On March 2nd, 2009, I had the intuition that it was time to buy, so for the next few days, I followed that instinct. It seemed like Kismet as the market has been rallying and the buzz is that we may have seen the bottom. I put in 40K of my own money (all of my settlement) and used another 40K of margin buying power to set up a well diversified portfolio with 38 different positions that come highly recommended and look promising.

In two weeks, my holdings have increased overall by over 20%...and as a first-time investor, I have to say this is thrilling. I know this can all change in the blink of an eye, but I feel a certain amount of risk is required if I am to have anything to live on in retirement. Now...all of that said, I realize that I need to pay back that 40K on margin as FAST as possible. I am long on most everything I bought, but wonder if (and when) I should sell some anyway to chew back the margin debt.

I would so very grateful for your Foolish advice on the best way to pay this back. Since the market has been on such an upswing lately, it doesn't look like I need to do anything immediately, but we all know how it can turn on a dime. Do any of you wise Fools have suggestions for this newbie?

Thanks so much for reading this. -Sundolly
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us