The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Should I file this? Date:  8/6/2009  12:37 PM
Author:  JoshRandall Number:  106675 of 130192

In no event do you attach the broker's statement showing the amount of foreign taxes withheld to your return.

You can attach any supporting documentation that you want to substantiate your deductions or credits. The almighty government forms are not the only things you include on your return. I wasn't aware of the OP's zero tax liability but if he did owe taxes he could and should attach the broker's statement if other required forms erroneously show zero when he did have foreign taxes withheld and this would be acceptable to the infernal revenue service. Don't leave common sense at the door when you fill out a tax return.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us