The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Should I file this? Date:  8/6/2009  1:04 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  106677 of 130716

You can attach any supporting documentation that you want to substantiate your deductions or credits. The almighty government forms are not the only things you include on your return. I wasn't aware of the OP's zero tax liability but if he did owe taxes he could and should attach the broker's statement if other required forms erroneously show zero when he did have foreign taxes withheld and this would be acceptable to the infernal revenue service. Don't leave common sense at the door when you fill out a tax return.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Aside from the fact that we're grownups here and try to keep a civil tongue, alas, it is you, sir or madam, who speaks without knowledge.

While you certainly can attach anything you like that's not explosive to your tax return, it serves no purpose to attach items that aren't required. Further, one would be silly to attach original documentation for a deduction or credit since it may be the last time you ever see it, and then where would you be if you were audited?

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us