The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Should I file this? Date:  8/12/2009  11:55 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  106729 of 130238

Heck yes. Just attach a copy of your broker's statement which shows the amount of foreign taxes withheld and take the credit.

Hzving been off at an investor education conference since last Thursday, I seem to have missed the firestorm which resulted from my post. <vbg>

Nevertheless, I have to question the directions given above. Why attach unnecessary documentation? Foreign taxes paid are already reported to the IRS on 1099-DIV. There is no need to provide additional paper.


P.S. (yes, I realize not everyone will see this) Anyone interested in a top-notch investor education conference, check out InvestEd 2010, August 6-8, 2010 in Baltimore, MD. ( You can learn more about us by replacing 2010 in the URL with 2008 or 2009 - links to the websites for the previous two conferences.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us