The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Imp This Ride

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/more-on-cameranerd-28006250.aspx

Subject:  More on CameraNerd Date:  10/3/2009  10:44 PM
Author:  dianakalt Number:  23019 of 40285

Hey all,

I went back to the hospital at around 6 tonight to see CameraNerd some more. His mom was there when I got there, reading him a book.

After just a little while, he started trying to talk a little more, and between 6:30 and 7 when the nurses were doing shift change, the night nurse was trying to get him to talk more and told us we should try to chat with him as much as possible for a while.

Over the course of around 1.5 hours or so, MIL and I talked to CN and got responses from him, and he is becoming more understandable.

A few thoughts/highlights on the day.

a) He is not yet allowed food - probably later tonight or tomorrow. They have to check some things before they can allow him to eat.

b) As a result of a) and the surgeries, etc he has not eaten since Tuesday night. He is FREAKIN' HUNGRY and starting to complain about it. As in, he must have asked for food at least 50 times or so in an hour. That's pretty painful to watch, ya know?

c) One thing they are watching out for is how much he'll talk, how well he responds to questions, and such so that if there are any issues they can narrow down whether it's because he is hammered on drugs or because of neurological issues. So far, he seems to be doing OK - they said there is nothing on the neurological side that's alarming at this time.

d) Poor guy's voice is scratchy and throat hurts though from having the tube down his throat for 3 days. So it feels kind of mean to try and make him talk but we do it anyway. :o)

e) One thing I got to tell the nurse that she said was GREAT is that even though he is all drugged up, he is using facial expressions and things that I am used to when he responds to us. He's not just parroting back one word yes and no answers, he pulled out a little bit of sarcasm and joking tonight. This is good stuff.

f) This evening, his mom was trying to get him to say that he appreciates me. (Wow, what a good MIL I have!). Anywho, he couldn't say much, but he did go along with a little schtick we have as a couple.

<schtick>
dianakalt: (does something nice for CN)
CN: smiles in response or otherwise says thank you.
dianakalt says to CN: "What am I, CN?"
CN replies: "The Best Wife Ever."
</schtick>

So. He got through surgery, is waking up and starting to talk, and still knows I am the best wife ever. ROCK!

d

now where the crap is the pathology report?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us