The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: e-File with attachments Date:  1/31/2010  11:40 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  108828 of 131361

The question is strictly can you e-file with attached statements, and if so, how?

If it is one of the situations listed on Form 8453, attach your statement to that form, e-file the return and mail the form and attachment in. If it's not listed there, you have to file on paper.

An alternative, which is probably less than kosher, but might get the job done: File the return electronically, omitting the item in question. Then file an amended return, which is always done on paper, to add the skipped item. That would get you the refund speed of e-filing, and still get the return done correctly in the end.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us