The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/what-is-the-point-of-investing-for-retirement-28301187.aspx

Subject:  What is the point of investing for retirement? Date:  2/11/2010  7:14 PM
Author:  happyclouds Number:  66749 of 99408

So I have been happily socking away money in a Roth IRA for several years now, but I just did a little calculation that was disappointing. I was trying to figure out how much I would have if I put in the $5,000 every year until I retire. I'm 28 and earn $28,000. Assuming I get an ok return, it just didn't seem like that much money to justify risking it in the market. Now granted, I'm sure I will continue to allocate my roth IRA into stocks and index funds because I enjoy it, but can anyone give me a compelling reason to do so? Why not just put it in some low interest bond or something or other each year instead? I should add that I don't foresee being able to save much more outside of the roth IRA for sometime, if ever. So I'm sure it will be nice to have a $100,000 plus to retire on, but that won't really last long at all. So I'm despairing about how I'll ever be able to retire.

thanks.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us