The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/as-odd-as-it-sounds-having-a-number-of-low-28302190.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is the point of investing for retiremen Date:  2/12/2010  10:07 AM
Author:  hockeypop Number:  66755 of 99408

As odd as it sounds, having a number of low return years while you are building your investments is the best thing that can happen for you because you get more stock for your money.

Greg

This is an incredibly important statement. I graduated college in 1968 and was REALLY disappointed with investment results. Fortunately I got through my mistakes with whole life, oil and gas partnerships, commodities and other "high yield" opportunities and just invested in equities (and with retirement funds -- low-cost mutual funds, in part because TIAA-CREF gave you few other options).

Imagine if stocks average 8% over the entire life of the market, and have just spent 10 years averaging 0%. You could be there for the next ride, which for new money I'll probably miss. Patience!

Great insight Greg and others!

Hockeypop
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us